OVERVIEW OF PEARSON TEST OF ENGLISH
The Pearson Test of English Academic is an English language test designed to assess the readiness of non-native English speakers to participate in a university-level English language instruction program. Pearson created PTE Academic in response to demand from institutions, government and other organizations for a more accurate way of testing non – native English language students who enter the English-speaking academia world. It is a computer-based exam which focuses on real-life English used in academic surroundings. This is to say that integrated language is used throughout the test and students will listen to a variety of accents and academic language which they will encounter at English-speaking higher education institutions. The test will be a maximum of 3 hours long and takers can expect their results to be delivered to them, online, within 5 working days.
Test scores are reported on the Global Scale of English, a standardized, numeric scale from 10 to 90 which can measure English language proficiency.
Why should you take PTE?
• The results are quicker, typically delivered in 5 business days, which keeps you stress-free to keep yourself worrying in wait of these results.
• The Test Dates are very flexible; the tests are conducted all around the year, almost 363 days of the year on more than 200 locations across the globe.
• The Test is approved by the Government of Australia for the visa application and is moreover, accepted by a lot of institutions in UK, Canada, Ireland, USA, and New Zealand.
• PTE test is Secure, which gives the universities the confidence; data forensics, palm-vein scanning, and randomized test forms, this ensures the universities about your test score belonging to you and your score is safe.
• PTE test is designed to test the real life language, and which prepares you to settle abroad by making you repeatedly hear the university lectures, and mark your responses for the same later.
Who accepts PTE Academic?
PTE Academic is accepted by thousands of universities worldwide, including prestigious institutions such as Harvard Business School, INSEAD and Yale. PTE Academic is also accepted for visa purposes by the Australian and New Zealand governments
Part 1: Speaking & Writing (77 – 93 Minutes)
In Part 1 you will be tested on your speaking and writing skills. The time given to this section is 77-93 minutes.
To assess speaking, your skills will be tested by your ability to produce spoken English in an academic environment.
The writing section will require you to write responses in academic English using correct grammar and spelling.
Part 2: Reading (32 – 41 Minutes)
In part 2 you will be tested on your reading skills. This single timed section contains 15-20 independent and integrated skills items, depending on the combination of items in a given test. Different response formats, including multiple-choice, re-order paragraphs, and fill in the blanks, are designed to test your ability to read, write and listen to information provided in English. Because PTE Academic is an integrated skill test, one item type in this part of the test also assesses writing skills.
Part 3: Listening (45 – 57 Minutes)
Part 3 consists of questions that are based on audio or video clips which begin to play automatically. You hear each audio or video clip only once so listen carefully. You are allowed to take notes.
For each question you have the opportunity to adjust the volume. While the audio clip is playing, move the control bar to the right to increase the volume or to the left to decrease the volume.
|Part of test||Section||Item type||Time allowed|
|Part 1:||Section 1||Personal introduction||1 minute|
|Speaking and writing||Section 2||Read aloud||30-35 minutes|
|Speaking and writing
|1) Repeat sentence 2) Describe image3) Re-tell lecture4) Answer short question|
|1) Repeat sentence 2) Describe image3) Re-tell lecture4) Answer short question
Summarize written text
|Section 5||Summarize written text or Write essay||10 or 20 minutes|
|Section 6||Write essay||20 minutes|
|Part 2: Reading||Multiple-choice, choose single answer||32-41 minutes|
Part 3 Listening
|1) Multiple-choice, choose multiple answers|
|2) Re-order paragraphs||
20 or 30 minutes
|3) Reading: Fill in the blanks|
|4) Reading & writing: Fill in the blanks|
|Summarize spoken text|
|Section 2||1) Multiple-choice, choose multiple answers||23-28 minutes|
|2) Fill in the blanks|
|3) Highlight correct summary|
|4) Multiple-choice, choose single answer|
|5) Select missing word|
|6) Highlight incorrect words|
|7) Write from dictation|
The British Institute of Languages PTE training course helps you with:
- Practicing lengthy paragraphs, PTE collocations, reordering paragraphs.
- Expertize on PTE Academic English
- Accurate completion & Time management.
- Speaking section – Reading, retelling, describing & pronunciation
- Summarizing written text
- PTE vocabulary & richness of Essay writing
- PTE Written Discourse skills.
- Small batch sizes for personal & maximum attention
- Strengthening all 4 communication skills to match International Standards of English Language
- Simulating a real testing environment, by practicing on computer