The speaking test is a face-to-face interview between the test taker and an examiner. There are 3 parts to the speaking module, which lasts between 11 and 14 minutes. You will be alone in a room with one examiner, who will ask you questions and ask you to talk on certain topics. The interview will be recorded. You will be able to make notes in Part 2 only.
The Speaking Modules are the same for both the Academic and General Training versions of IELTS. Topics include discussions about you, your family etc.
|1||4-5 minutes||Answer questions about yourself and your activities|
1 minute preparation1-2 minute preparation1 minute follow up questions
|Talk on a topic presented on a task card|
|3||4-5 minutes||Discuss with examiner issues related to the topic in Part 2|
There are variety of questions and prompts the examiner will use to get you to talk during the IELTS Speaking Module. You should be familiar with these types
|Part 1||Wh- questions
|Part 2||Describe and explain
Speaking tips - Tips to help you while taking the test
- Focus on the task. Think what the examiner is asking you. Respond precisely to the question or topic.
- Speak clearly. Sit up straight. Talk directly to the examiner. Do not be afraid to make eye contact
- Speak loudly. Make sure you are heard, but do not yell.
- Don’t waste preparation time writing out full sentences. Make notes of just your key ideas
- Laugh. Do these before you meet the examiner. It will help u feel better and light.
- Smile at the examiner
- Don’t try to memorize answers in advance
- Pay attention to verb tense
- Ask the examiner to repeat or explain a question if the task is unclear
Speaking tips - Tips to help you study for the speaking test
- Talk to yourself:Pay attention to things around you. In your mind, describe the scene to someone in English. Imagine a person who has never visited your city and describe the scene to that person
- Make up stories: Use your imagination. Look around you on the street, bus, elevator etc. ask yourself questions about everything or everyone you see.
- Make your daily plans:Talk to yourself in English. If you have to decide what clothes to wear,what to have for breakfast etc., make these decisions in English
- Think about your job:Imagine you are at a job interview. Talk about your educational and work background. In your mind, try to sell yourself to a future employer by talking about your strength and good qualities
- Explain your interests:Choose a hobby or free time interest that you have. Imagine that you are teaching another person how to do it. Explain everything step by step. Describe any equipment or tools that are needed
- Read books, watch movies and TV:Think about a book, film or TV show that you really enjoy.in your mind, tell another person what it is about and why you like it. Also think about a book you dislike
- Read the news:When you read the news or watch the news, try thinking in English
- Talk to everyone you meet: Talk to cashiers, bus drivers, neighbors
- Introduce yourself: Practice introducing yourself and answering typical “getting to know “questions
- Make notes:Practice making notes about different topics and turning those notes into a short speech
- Explain your opinion :Practice giving opinions and explaining them with examples
- Remember:You are being marked on your speaking abilities, not on your knowledge.
what our students say
Bonjour! Hey there! I learnt french language here… the trainers and other staff are very cooperative. Trainer mam translates language so you can get comfortable. A great great experience to learn a new language.
I joined this institute for ielts, my overall experience was very good there. The knowledge given by the teachers was very helpful to me & during training they solve thought related topic also.
Overall training quality is the best (thank you TBIL)
I have completed A1 and A2 level language course of german at tbil thane, and the learning process was great there. Thank you tbil.
This is the best institute in Chandigarh for ielts as they have well qualified faculty members in their institute, they provide better services to student and also explain each module in detail and they provide master class every Saturday.
The whole experience was literally awesome. I really enjoy doing my training here. The best part about it was the whole process was not complicated and easy to understand.