Writing Module: IELTS Exam
There are total of 2 tasks that need to be completed under the ‘writing’ section. The 1st task comprises of writing 150 words within 20 minutes on a given topic. The 2nd task relates to writing 250 words within 40 minutes on a given topic. Answers that fail to meet the word limit or aren’t related to the given topic would lose marks.
Task 1: Candidates are asked to elaborate about a graph, diagram or table in their original words.
Task 1:Test takers discuss a point of view, argument or problem. Depending on the task, test takers may be required to present a solution to a problem, present and justify an opinion, compare and contrast evidence, opinions and implications, and evaluate and challenge ideas, evidence or an argument.
IELTS General Training
Task 1: Candidates are required to contemplate a given circumstance and thereby attempt writing a letter to resolve the issue. For example, candidates may be asked to write to an accommodation officer for resolving issues related to lodging. Candidates may be asked to write a letter to an employer for resolving issues related to time management. Test takers may also be asked to write to a local newspaper to enquire about the progress of local airport.
The Task 2 is same for Academic and General Training. In this task, candidates need to attempt an essay writing exercise about general topics. For example, topics could be related to environment problems, smoking issues or ideal type of children’s playroom activities.
You should be familiar with the types of tasks in both Academic and General Training Modules
Academic Writing Module
|Task 1:||Describe or summarize facts and figures presented in one or more charts, graphs or tables|
Explain a diagram of a machine, a device or a process
|Task 2||Express an opinion and give examples to support your ideas|
General Training Writing Module
|Task 1||Write a letter in response to a situation|
Explaining a problem
|Task 2||Give your opinion about a point of view, argument or problem|
- Make sure you organize your writing before you begin. Use the bottom of page 2 of your test booklet to create a concept map.
- The examiners judge your writing on its clarity. Make sure you have supported your ideas with specific details.
- You can write more than 150 words or more than 250 words but you can’t write less. You will lose points if you have less than assigned number of words in your essay.
- Learn to look at your writing and estimate how many words it is. Don’t waste precious time counting words.
- Remember that you will be allowed to use a second sheet of paper if necessary.
- Paraphrase the question in your introduction.
- Learn the words and phrases used to link sentences and paragraphs.
- Add personal experiences and details whenever possible.
- You must answer the question wholly. Do not leave any part out or will lose points.
- Organize your time carefully. Leave time for planning, writing and revising.
- Write your essays in correct place. Task 1 needs to be written on page 1 & 2 whereas Task 2 needs to be written on page 3 & 4.
- Don’t forget to indent.
- Write clearly and legibly. Make sure the ink in your pen is dark enough.
- Cross out changes neatly or erase thoroughly.
- Leave some time at the end to check for and correct spelling and grammar mistakes.
- Read as much and as often as you can so that you become familiar with the way writing is organized.
- Watch your time.
what our students say
Bonjour! Hey there! I learnt french language here… the trainers and other staff are very cooperative. Trainer mam translates language so you can get comfortable. A great great experience to learn a new language.
I joined this institute for ielts, my overall experience was very good there. The knowledge given by the teachers was very helpful to me & during training they solve thought related topic also.
Overall training quality is the best (thank you TBIL)
This is the best institute in Chandigarh for ielts as they have well qualified faculty members in their institute, they provide better services to student and also explain each module in detail and they provide master class every Saturday.